October 2022 Charity Spotlight: Great Pyrenees Rescue Society
The Great Pyrenees is known as the “Gentle Giant”. Even-tempered and loyal, the Great Pyrenees (aka Pyrs) loves attention and can be a wonderful family pet as long as the pet owner is willing to be a strong leader and is okay with the stubborn and quirky nature of this breed—the Great Pyrenees is NOT just a big white Golden Retriever.
Great Pyrenees Rescue Society (GPRS) is a foster-based, 501c3 animal rescue dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and adoption of Great Pyrenees dogs whose lives are in danger. GPRS was founded by Malise Saucier in 2006 to facilitate the placement of Great Pyrenees and Pyr mixes across the country.
Great Pyrenees Rescue Society has a long history of successful adoptions both in Texas and in the Northwest through a monthly transport of Pyrs from Texas to the Pacific Northwest. Most GPRS rescues come from kill shelters around Texas who are then placed in foster homes in the Pacific Northwest and Texas while they are evaluated and rehabilitated until a permanent home can be found. GPRS will also transport to suitable, adoptive homes in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, New Mexico, and Arizona.
Top Ten Reasons to Adopt a Rescued Great Pyrenees:
1. You'll be saving a life and helping a dog in need!
2. You get a dog that’s already spayed/neutered and up to date on its shots!
3. Saves on puddles - they are usually house-trained by their fosters.
4. Experience the unconditional love a devoted & loyal Pyrenees can give.
5. Nothing is cuter than a rescued Pyrenees puppy!
6. Help with meeting your weight loss goals -they make perfect personal trainers on long walks!
7. You’ll get an instant loyal, calm companion for life who will help protect your home.
8. Be the envy of the neighborhood & make new friends by walking such a unique, majestic dog!
9. No surprises — with an adult, you’ll know their size and temperament right away.
10. Your couch (and lap) will always be warm in winter!
Sadly, there are so many more wonderful, majestic, and deserving Great Pyrenees needing help than there are suitable homes. The only way to save these precious dogs is with the help of fosters. GPRS is always in need of temporary foster homes, donations, volunteers' help, and of course, permanent homes to help fulfill their ultimate mission.
4Knines delights in shining a light on outstanding nonprofits who serve the animal community. We are happy to support GPRS with monetary and product donations and hope you will consider donating to their mission as well. 100% of all donations received go directly to the dogs cared for by the volunteer-run Great Pyrenees Rescue Society. Every penny counts and will make the difference in the life of a thankful Great Pyrenees.